Instructor Moodle Course FAQ

General Moodle Course and Instructor FAQ

Last Updated: May 31st, 2022

Related Articles: Student Moodle FAQ, New Faculty FAQ

Moodle course timeline

  • If you want to start work on your Moodle courses early you can request a development shell. When your courses become available, you can import the content of your development shell into your course. 
  • Instructors have access to courses/CRNs approximately 6 weeks before the term starts.
  • Student enrollments are added 2 weeks (finals week) before the following term starts.
    • Note: This can be reduced to 1 week in cases like Spring term were there is only a one week break between the two terms. This is to prevent confusion and stress for students during finals week of the current term.
  • Once enrollment is set they are not removed (unless dropped) from courses for 1 academic year. Instructors can request enrollments be removed at any time. 
  • Once the term has ended, you will have two weeks to make changes before the course is backed up for the OFFLINE backup files!
    • Do not do any further work on your courses after the two-week mark at the end of term; it will not be included in the backup file.
    • Either work on your new course CRN with the imported old course, OR get a development shell with the restored backup in it!
    • You will still be able to access the course, but the edits will not be saved in the backup.
  • All previous courses will be hidden by a Moodle admin on the first day of the new term unless you have requested that it stays open. To do this, email

For more information about the beginning and end of term procedures, see this article: Course Start and End of Term Procedures

How do I get access to my Moodle course for the class I’m teaching?

You will have access to your course for the next term with the generated CRN from Banner by Week 7 of the current term. If you want to work on building your course prior to this, email the ATC and request a development shell to work on and later import into your CRN.

It’s the beginning of the term and my students can’t see the course.

They are automatically enrolled but you still need to make your course visible. This article explains how this is done.

What are Metacourses?

You can combine two CRNs/sections of the same course to increase collaboration and facilitate organization. Learn more about metacourses here.

If you would like to create a Metacourse you can fill out our online form or email Please include all CRNs, the name of the course, and any relevant details about your request.

Moodle shells for admin and team sites

Moodle shells can be created to facilitate collaboration and information sharing with other faculty in your department or team. With a shell, you can build course materials with other faculty members that you can eventually import into your own courses. Email and describe the shell you need.

Student access after the end of the term

Courses are hidden from students after the end of the term. If you need to grant students access to previous courses, or if you need to give a student an incomplete, contact the ATC. 

Retrieving/viewing previous students' work and grades

All courses are hidden after the end of term, but students are still enrolled until the courses are archived. You have access to student work and grades for one academic year of previous courses. After this, you will need to request to retrieve the course and its records from the archives. See this article for more information: Moodle: Archived Courses.

If you would like all of your students or specific ones to be unenrolled from your course you may request for this to be done at any time.

How to enroll in Moodle training courses

You can reach all of the available Moodle training courses for faculty here. Click on the links in the article to navigate to the desired course in Moodle. Log into Moodle and enroll yourself in the course. You will be able to access it anytime. 

ATC Support & Hours of Operation

Weekday Support, Monday - Friday

The ATC is open to in-person assistance. Support is available through the above remote options and on campus at CEN 208

Was this article helpful?